This qualification is designed to meet the needs of builders, including selecting contractors, overseeing the work and its quality, and liaising with clients.
The builder may also be the appropriately licensed person with responsibility under the relevant building licensing authority in the State or Territory. Builder licensing varies across States and Territories and additional requirements to attainment of this qualification may be required.
Occupational titles may include:
- Construction manager.
The qualification has core unit of competency requirements that cover common skills for the construction industry.
The construction industry strongly affirms that training and assessment leading to recognition of skills must be undertaken in a real or very closely simulated workplace environment and this qualification requires all units of competency to be delivered in this context.
Completion of the general induction training program specified by the National Code of Practice for Induction Training for Construction Work (ASCC 2007) is required before entering a construction work site. Achievement of unit CPCCOHS1001A covers this requirement.
Additional units of competency may be required to meet builder registration requirements in various States and Territories.
To achieve this qualification, the candidate must demonstrate competency in:
- 18 units of competency:
- 13 core units
- 5 elective units.
The elective units must be selected as follows:
- a minimum of 3 elective units must be from Group A units below
- a maximum of 2 further elective units may be from Group B units below
- 1 elective unit may be from Diploma level in from CPC08 or another endorsed Training Package, provided that the industry context of the qualification is maintained
- 2 elective units may be from any Certificate IV in CPC08
- 1 elective unit may be from any Advanced Diploma in CPC08.
Some units in this qualification may have prerequisite requirements, which must be met when packaging the qualification. Users are referred to the list of CPC08 units with prerequisite unit requirements available in this Training Package for this purpose.
Core Units – 13 required
- ❖ BSBPMG513 Manage project quality
- ❖ BSBPMG517 Manage project risk
- ❖ BSBWHS503 Contribute to the systematic management of WHS risk
- ❖ CPCCBC4001A Apply building codes and standards to the construction process for low rise building projects
- ❖ CPCCBC4003A Select and prepare a construction contract
- ❖ CPCCBC4004A Identify and produce estimated costs for building and construction projects
- ❖ CPCCBC4010B Apply structural principles to residential low-rise constructions
- ❖ CPCCBC4013A Prepare and evaluate tender documentation
- ❖ CPCCBC5001B Apply building codes and standards to the construction process for medium rise building projects
- ❖ CPCCBC5002A Monitor costing systems on medium rise building and construction projects
- ❖ CPCCBC5003A Supervise the planning of on-site medium rise building or construction work
- ❖ CPCCBC5010B Manage construction work
- ❖ CPCCBC5018A Apply structural principles to the construction of medium rise buildings
Elective Units – 5 Units
- ❖ CPCCBC5004A Supervise and apply quality standards to the selection of building and construction materials – Required for builder license
- ❖ CPCCBC5005A Select and manage building and construction contractors – Required for builder license
- ❖ CPCCBC5007B Administer the legal obligations of a building or construction contractor – Required for builder license
- ❖ CPCCBC5009A Identify services layout and connection methods to medium rise construction projects – Required for builder license
- ❖ CPCCBC4024A Resolve Business Disputes